Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Heart of Christianity

I've been reading Marcus Borg's book "Heart of Christianity." My take: it is very well-written, and has spoken to me like no other book on religion (aside from the Bible, of course). Just incredible. I'm sure his ideas will seem heretical to some: he acknowledges that parts of the Bible are metaphorical, that it can and should be understood with a historical and metaphorical approach, and that other major faith traditions (Judaism, Islam, & Buddhism, to name a few) might well be advocating pursuit of "the Way" that Jesus taught... that is, one might be able to get to the Way via other traditions.

I like those ideas, but I realize others will likely reject them outright. I hope that even those who do will take seriously his other main points-- that Christianity is about more than believing the right things so that we can get to Heaven after we die. Christians ought to be about the business of compassion and concern for others in THIS life. Very powerful stuff. This is a book that I just want to shout from the rooftops about. It is also a book that I just knew, even as I was reading it, would end up offending many... that is unfortunate.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

That is an awesome book. My old pastor gave me a copy. Also check out "Jesus: A New Vision" by Borg. It's quasi-academic, focused on his work about Jesus as a historical figure. But it is also very accessible to the non-theologian.

10:11 PM  
Blogger OM Group said...

Really like what you say here, and I am sharing your frustration about people getting offended in another forum. Just thought I'd pipe up!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your stuff! Randy

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home